transmission facilities

Stuart W. Card swc at uc1.ucsu.edu
Tue Oct 12 09:29:53 PDT 1993

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but...

There has been a fair amount of discussion regarding setting up our
own networks of various kinds so that we don't have to live within
the strictures imposed upon us by providers (and regulators) of
'conventional' WAN's and financial networks.  This is good.  However,
thinking that this is a final solution is a delusion.  We are too few
in number; they COULD shut us down if they wanted to badly enough.

To become 'ineradicable', we must proliferate our approaches:
use LOTS of different physical plants and protocols, etc., with
numerous interrconnecting gateways.  That way, taking down a single
physical network, protocol, encryption algorithm or business strategy
does not eradicate the underground internet.
Stuart W. Card, Consultant, Card & Associates -- Research & Development
Box 153 RR 1 Newport Rd Utica NY 13502         315-735-1717 / FAX -8469
swc at uc1.ucsu.edu or cards at top.cis.syr.edu           "Who is John Galt?"