distributed autonomous networks

Dwayne hiscdcj at lux.latrobe.edu.au
Tue Oct 12 07:24:54 PDT 1993

>Well, building the transmitter wouldn't be too hard, and you could
>probably transmit much larger amounts of data than over a modem if you
>used high frequencies.  The most difficult thing as I see it is that
>you'd have to build a small computer for each box, and program it to
>route data packets, error-check them, and so on.

Could an 8088 do this? (he says, having just asked this in a previous
message).
The thing would be to do it via as cheap and readily availabe a chip as is
possible.

>A Fully-Qualified-Domain-Name type of network would create
>complications.  Since the network will be constantly expanding and
>changing, you'd probably need relative domain names. (you'd have to
>specify: send packet thru site #10 thru site #34 and deliver to site #19)
>To have fully qualified domain names, you'd need to have something on
>the net cataloging them.

Erp. Right. Hmmm. I just thought it wuld be kind of nice to have an internet
address for some of the nodes, so we can mail to and from the internet,
while preserving the geographical invisibility that punknet would provide.

Dwayne