Bamford's "The Puzzle Palace"

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 18:59:19 PDT 1993

> Newbie cypheroids and cypherettes,
>
> Tim May has pointed to _The Puzzle Palace_ by Bamberg several times here
                                                ^^^^^^^
> and on the Extropians list. If like me you're a newbie, it's a quick,
> excellent read. Don't miss it. It'll give context for the quote, "gentlemen
> don't read each other's mail."

"My name is Bamford, _James_ Bamford."

Bamford's "The Puzzle Palace" is a bit dry in places, but is very
well-researched. I first read it in hardback in 1982 and the stuff
about intercepts of commercial intelligence (stock trades, corporate
secrets, etc.) got me to thinking about how the NSA may be _using_
the fruits of its corporate intercepts. This motivated the plot of the
novel I've been working on, and my interest in the "BlackNet" aspects
of crypto, so I can honestly say Bamford's book changed my life.

He also describes in previously-nonpublicized detail the "Harvest" and
"Lodestone" systems installed at NSA headquarters at Fort Meade around
1963. Our own Norm Hardy was involved in this and will be describing
his "Harvest" experiences at this Saturday's Cypherpunks meeting.

See (some of) you there!

--Tim

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.