Standard Headers for Anonymous Remailers

Douglas Barnes cman at IO.COM
Thu Oct 7 15:25:35 PDT 1993

Pierre wrote:
> Who qualifies whom, based on what info, and to eliminate whom?

I don't think that Owen (and certainly not any party to the argument
at io.com) is suggesting a high-handed Big Brother approach to qualifying
transactions. At least I hope not...

However, I think that as the means of defining data spaces (whether in
Usenet space, mailing list space, or IRC space) become more sophisticated
and also more accessible, that the people who establish these spaces
will want to also establish authentication qualifications. And whether
this will be a Good Thing or a Bad Thing depends on whether it's based
on reputation or on knee-jerk anti-anonymity bigotry.

Individuals or groups that wish to create a data space, or who currently
conduct transactions in a data space, *should* have the right to establish
rules for entry and transaction ranging from "anything goes" to "established
members of the foo-ology research community using digital signatures." I
think that the best remedy for the tyranny and stagnation that can arise from
this is to keep a very low barrier to entry for the creation of new data spaces.

Despite this, I think that discrimination solely on the basis on anonymity
is *dead wrong* and is on equivalent moral ground with discrimination on
the basis of skin color, religion or unnatural fondness for aquatic mammals.
I think it is much more useful to put the new anonymous entity on the same
ground as, say, a first semester college freshman, and allow that entity
meaningful channels for acquiring reputation, up to and including becoming
an "established member of the foo-ology research community."

Doug Barnes
Founder of foo-ology and the 'foo' mailing list
To subscribe, send e-mail to: foo-request at indial1.io.com

--
Douglas Barnes            cman at illuminati.io.com            /  \