on the cypherpunks mailing list & me

Scott Collins catalyst at netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 03:49:19 PDT 1993

Though I am loathe to add social commentary, I am responding on the list to
"L. Detweiler's" missive, rather than in private mail, because I don't
think any one person is the problem (in fact, I think every one person is
the problem).

 -- the caveat of individualism --
The battle for privacy is an inherently _personal_ one.  Individuals seek
it.  Communities seek to withhold it.  On one side is a cooperating
organism with psychological machinery sharpened by a millenia of evolution:
machinery that keeps the organism together -- and forces it to attack those
qualities of individuals not conducive to its own survival.  On the other
side is a loose collection of individuals whose 'unifying' quality is that,
for one reason or another, they desire to keep their privacy.

Individuals will always find it difficult to 'hang together', particularly
for the purpose of 'hanging apart'.  We have graduated from citizenship to
adulthood.  Instinct no longer suffices for cooperation; it now requires
volition.  We who seek the reigns, it turns out, must also wear the yoke.

 -- to "L. Detweiler" --
Don't leave the list.  Without doubt, you are a voluminous poster.  It
heartens me to see such effort, even while it pains me to wade through it.
You provide insight, perspective, and data.  However, you could make your
input incalculably more valuable by honing some of your posts.  There are
ideas that _need_ many words to express, others only _want_ many words.
Compression takes energy.  Succinct writing is difficult; but worthwile.
In my humble opinion, the only person on this list who has _never_ used
more words than required is Eric Hughes.  (In fact, the very post you are
reading embarasses me with its length, considering its moral).

 -- my perfect world --
Long ago I read a story about a utopian society.  So long ago, in fact,
that all the details have faded save this -- central to their society was
their law, comprising but two directives:

        1. Don't annoy other people too much.
        2. Don't be too easily annoyed.

It may sound obsequious, but (when I remember) I try to live by these rules.

 -- summary --
Because, energy is lost in transmission, it is practical to treat others
with _more_ consideration than you would be willing to accept from them.  A
mailing list is not a conversation.  Posters owe readers the respect of
polished expression.  Readers owe posters respect for effort expended, but
note that it is harder to post something cogent and succint than it is to
type in a page of thoughts and press 'send'.  You could sift a ton of coal
dust by hand and not find the diamond that it could have become, were it
squeezed down to its essence.

Scott Collins         | "Few people realize what tremendous power there
                      |  is in one of these things."     -- Willy Wonka
BUSINESS.   voice:408.862.0540  fax:974.6094   collins at newton.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.   5 Infinite Loop, MS 305-2B   Cupertino, CA 95014
PERSONAL.   voice/fax:408.257.1746    1024:669687   catalyst at netcom.com