BBS seizures

Greg Broiles greg at ideath.goldenbear.com
Wed Oct 6 04:20:22 PDT 1993

uunet!ideath.goldenbear.com!greg (Greg Broiles) writes:

> I think a man named Tom Tcimpidis was busted in the L.A. area in the early
> eighties because of content; if I remember the facts correctly, codes
> were posted to his board without his knowledge, and he was convicted for
> illegal possession of long distance access codes. I grepped through early

I did more checking. Tcimpidis was arrested in May 1984 when an access code
was posted to his BBS while he was on vacation. Charges were dropped in 1985
because there was insufficient evidence to establish that he knew that the
code was there. One person mentioned in E-mail that Tcimpidis' equipment
was returned to him, albeit in a damaged condition.

Publication of a telephone credit card number is a misdemeanor in California
if it is done "with the intent that it be used or with knowledge or reason
to believe it will be used" for toll fraud. CA Penal Code Section
502.7(1)(c). Publication means (for these purposes) communicating the number
to at least one other person either orally or in writing of any kind.

I'll leave this subject alone now; just wanted to correct earlier mistake
about Tcimpidis.

--
Greg Broiles
greg at goldenbear.com                     Baked, not fried.