PGP in Fidonet

Harry S. Hawk habs at panix.com
Mon Oct 4 00:29:04 PDT 1993

At 10:12 PM 10/3/93 -0400, Mike Godwin wrote:
>Uploading a GIF to a BBS is definitely a different issue from those raised
>by ECPA, which has to do with electronic mail.

> private files ontheir systems that aren't communications.

Situtation:

I assume this is a gray area. But let's say at a meeting of friends
in one state (e.g., Boulder Creek, Ca), we create a Video message,
digitize it, and sent it to that friend, by uploading into an
account that I (habs) and the friend (rjc) has joint access to?

Questions:

Is that communications? Is it private? What if the message contains
images that might be considered "adult"?

Would it be different if that file was e-mailed or FTPed rather
than uploaded.

Or, let's say I put in some very public FTP site, but used RSA to
legally encrypt it with my friend's public key? Would it be
private communications or public?

--
Harry S. Hawk           ON Vacation