Signing Keys for Nyms and Digibank Users

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Tue Nov 30 20:37:53 PST 1993

Bill Steward wrote:

> The purpose of signing keys, in my opinion, is to verify that,
> if you're using a given key to talk to a given person or entity,
> does that key really belong to that entity, or is it a key the
> KGB/NSA/Mafia/Wiretaps-R-Us substituted for the real key.
> You're not necessarily claiming that the name on the key is the
> person's Government-Approved True Name, though government ID
> is one way you could help verify that the person you meet at a conference
> claiming to be "Tim May" is the real "Tim May" you've been sending

Yes, it's  important people realize this. For example, I only recently
met the "meat-entity Bill Stewart" when he moved to the Bay Area a
month or two ago...I previously knew this entity as the "Net-entity
Bill Stewart" and I didn't really care what his physical ID and meat
personna was, only that every time I dealt with "him" I was in fact
reaching the same entity. (We didn't user public keys, so far as I
recall, but we _could_ have.)

> The government already supports government-approved fictional people
> with government-approved names - corporations.

More than this, the government has over 30,000 people in the Witness
Security Program (popularly known as the Witness Protection Program):
turncoats, Mafia informants, and other criminals. The credit card
companies and major credit reporting agencies (TRQ, Equifax, etc.)
apparently have a working arrangement with the relevant agencies to
not flag "data base ghosts" that clearly belong to these
legend-equipped phony IDs.

Interestingly, this probably explains a lot about the collusion
between credit card companies and the government....and perhaps why
"digital cash" VISA cards have not appeared, even though they are
feasible.

Also note the intriguing possibility that offshore/cyberspatial credit
reporting agencies could identify these "data base ghosts" and reveal
them publically. We could see several thousand of them be killed
withing days by their vengeful ex-partners, while the others are
frantically relocated.

Crypto anarchy will shake so many things up!

(I have a lot more info on WitSec, on FinCEN, and on other secretive
government programs.)

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: PGP and MailSafe available.
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.