META: Filter Detweiler

Dave Taffs davet at wv.MENTORG.COM
Mon Nov 29 17:02:04 PST 1993

Time to de-lurk...

>sender: hfinney at shell.portal.com
>
>I would favor adding a filter preventing Detweiler's messages from
>appearing on the list.

I disagree. I think the correct response is to just completely ignore
him. This apparently worked on rec.pets.cats, when people posted truly
nasty stories about cats; they kept it up until the list learned to
just completely ignore them, and then they went away. Detweiler will
eventually(!) do likewise.

I urge that the spirit exemplified by CPunks not be sullied by
censorship, in spite of the threat posed by LD. It is indeed an
ugly precedent, antithetical to what I believe the list believes
in.

It might help newbies if a discussion of the LD issue be mentioned
in a FAQ list (is there one?), or otherwise maybe a message indicating
the known hazard of LD should be sent to the list every two weeks saying
that the consensus is to just ignore posts from either L. Detweiler or
an12070 at anon.penet.fi.

--
 O_O    	01234567                dave_taffs at mentorg.com   "Carpe carp!" |
 . .            ^       	        I don't necessarily share MGC's views. |