Banning any subscriber

Timothy C. May tcmay at netcom.com
Mon Nov 29 13:37:25 PST 1993

Geoff Dale wrote:

>I'm not entirely against positive reputation systems, but they really need
>to be implimented on the user end, or at least be user settings, as on the
>extropians list.
>
>But the main problem with positive reputation systems is dealing with the
>zero reputation newbies. I don't want to see these guys shut out.

Positive reputations _must_ be implemented at the user level, to my way of
thinking. Any system which centrally administers the reputations, as in
approved reading lists or movies approved by the Catholics (does this still
exist?) is not really what most of us want.

Newbies are often desirable and often turn into valued
contributors--sometimes from their very first posts. So I personally would
not want to filter them out.

The "Extropians" software, which many of us have mentioned here, allows
this kind of flexibility.

I hope Cypherpunks can get it soon.

--Tim May

tcmay at netcom.com       | anonymous networks, digital pseudonyms, zero
Higher Power: 2^756839 | Public Key: by arrangement
Note: I put time and money into writing this posting. I hope you enjoy it.