Big Brother/Bank Accounts

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Mon Nov 29 06:17:24 PST 1993

Given the material in the WiReD 1.6 article, how likely is it that a
true anonymous digital cash system would be allowed?  I know, I know;
there's "no way to prevent it"; however, I think that concept is based
on the premise that the Government proceeds rationally.

If somebody with an axe to grind gets hold of the "kidnapped baby"
scenario described in _Applied_Cryptography_, plenty of public outrage
and indignation could be generated.  Imagine a made-for-TV docu-drama
that shows teams of strange greasy little hackers hunched over their
glowing workstations, wailing kidnapped babies piled in a corner.

Go on, reassure me that "all is well".

--
Mike McNally