newsgroup v news-list

Jim choate ravage at wixer.bga.com
Sun Nov 28 09:09:34 PST 1993

> You're a little new to the list for all the text you're generating.  If you'd

> wait about a month, you'd see all of your questions answered, examples of
> situations that would match or disprove most of your assumptions, and many
> many examples of the sort of thing that Detweiler is lobbing into the list.
>
> Everyone has different ideas of what the list is about and for.  When the fol
ks
> who've been on it for more than a year can't agree on what it's about, it's
> irritating to have a new person spout off their opinion on the matter.
>
> I imagine some folks have given you some indication of Detweiler's history, b
ut
> in case they haven't given you the complete flavor, let me add my two cents:
> imagine a true paranoic with the DTs from alcohol withdrawal locked into a
> room with a terminal...  Every stray impulse that crosses his mind causes a
> flurry of keystrokes to make the pink spiders go away...
>
> The guy is far enough gone that we're not really talking about censorship --
> any more than dealing with a crank phone caller is censorship.  He's
> dripping vitriol, not opinion.
>
> -Bill

Why should how long I have been on the list have anything to do with what I
can contribute?

Why should I wait a month to figure it out experimentaly when I can ask a
couple of questions now, race up the learning curve, and move on to othe
more important agendas.

We are talking about limiting access to the list (for whatever reason), THAT
is cencorship.

I personaly find the idea that a person has to 'earn' the right to make a
statement on a mail-list or newsgroup as counter-free speech. I oppose your
view.

How long have you been playing w/ computers? Maby you haven't been doing it
long enough to make posts either....