Canadian application?

George A. Gleason gg at well.sf.ca.us
Tue Nov 23 01:52:47 PST 1993

Recently there have been articles & letters in the local gay press
complaining about Canadian Customs engaging in censorship by preventing gay
publications from entering Canada.  Seems to me this is an ideal case for
setting up a special-purpose private encrypted net, and gaining a vocal
constituency in our favor.

What I have in mind would be to consult with various publishers in the gay
community, toward the end of setting up offices in Vancouver and Toronto
which would receive encrypted files from the US which could then be
reassembled into printed form for regular press production and distribution
within Canada: thereby entirely bypassing Customs and its censorship.

I'm guessing that they'll probably want to use an authorised/licensed system
such as ViaCrypt, and wonder whether that can handle magazine and book
production type files, which may be text and/or graphics, full color, layout
details, and so on.

If anyone out there is interested in helping with this; preferably if you're
in the San Francisco Bay Area, email gg at well.sf.ca.us.

-gg