Privacy/Money Orders

smb at research.att.com smb at research.att.com
Fri Nov 19 17:11:59 PST 1993

	 Many people use local check cashing stores to cash pay checks and
	 buy money orders.  Money orders are particularly useful when you
	 want to retain some level of privacy when purchasing things like
	 dirty magazines, subversive literature, etc.

	 There are currently two bills in the House that may force these
	 businesses to close.  HR 1448 and HR 3235.  I don't have the
	 text of these bills, but some of the check cashing stores in
	 my 'hood are asking customers to write their Hon. Misrepresentative
	 immediately and ask them to block these bills.

	 Does anyone have access to the text of these bills?

You can get some information on bills via telnet to locis.loc.gov,
the Library of Congress Information Service.  Here's what I found
on those two bills -- it may be possible to get more, if you know
how to work the search engine, which I don't.

ITEM 1 OF 1                    SET 1: BRIEF DISPLAY                FILE: C103
                                (ASCENDING ORDER)
1. H.R.1448: SPON=Rep Fields, C., (Cosp=34); OFFICIAL TITLE: A bill to
        establish a limit on the fee which certain persons may charge for
        cashing checks and other instruments, to require despository
        institutions to cash checks issued by the United States or a State,
        and to provide that checks drawn by the Federal Government may be
        mailed only to the personal residence or primary place of business of
        the payee, to a Federal post office box, or to a federally insured
        depository institution at which the payee holds an account.

ITEM 1 OF 1                    SET 2: BRIEF DISPLAY                FILE: C103
                                (ASCENDING ORDER)
1. H.R.3235: SPON=Rep Gonzalez, (Cosp=6); OFFICIAL TITLE: A bill to amend
        subchapter II of chapter 53 of title 31, United States Code, to
        improve enforcement of antimoney laundering laws, and for other
        purposes.