FCC policy

henry strickland strick at osc.versant.com
Thu Nov 18 12:26:39 PST 1993

# From: "George A. Gleason" <gg at well.sf.ca.us>
#
# Re Strick's item on "used to be legal to listen to anything that passed
# through your airspace as long as you didn't (divulge or sell)..."  Yes this
# used to be the case.  I'm not sure if ECPA is what changed it, but.... there
# is some hope of getting it changed back again...

I agree that Clinton's shift to value individual liberties is a good thing.
(However his support for anything is always subject to change....)

However what we have now is a list of frequencies that it is illegal
for you to listen to -- 2600 published the list as a service to its
members :-).

The cypherpunk platform here should be not merely for more liberty to
use electronic gadgets, but for relying on technology rather than laws
to assure privacy.  This argument could be made regardless of whether
an administration wanted to see more or less liberty/privacy -- as long
as it wants there to be some liberty/privacy.

I'm sure you already know these, I think it's important to distinguish
the arguments.

						strick