modem taps/caller id

Stanton McCandlish mech at eff.org
Tue Nov 16 17:24:14 PST 1993

> > Practical Peripherals sells a modem that also captures Caller ID info
> > and makes   it available to your comm program.  I've also seen devices
> > that do this for   sale in the back of BBS magazines.
>
> The question is, how does a caller block this feature?

Depends on the locality, but generally you have 2 options: temporarily
disable it with a *code, or get all-call-blocking.  In most areas, as far
as I know all-call-blocking (so you don't have to enter the *code for
every call) is a "special service" or "extra feature" and costs you more.
This is of course utterly ludicrous, but that's what you'd expect from
semi-monopolies.

--
Stanton  McCandlish  mech at eff.org  1:109/1103   EFF  Online  Activist & SysOp
O P E N  P L A T F O R M   C R Y P T O P O L I C Y   O N L I N E  R I G H T S