The Courtesies of Cypherpunks

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Mon Nov 15 06:00:29 PST 1993

Ken McGlothlen writes:
 > ld231782 at longs.lance.colostate.edu ("L. Detweiler") rants:
 > | I owe no courtesy ...
 >
 > More ludicrousness....

You know, while resisting the temptation to respond to Mr. Detweiler
(my rational self knows it's pointless, but my ire is raised), I've
begun to wonder whether this sort of psychosis is an anomaly or if
it'll be more common as the net becomes accessible to more and more
people.

We've all worried about various types of regulations on traffic which
may be proposed or imposed as the net becomes more common.  What if
this type of paranoia crops up more frequently?  (Indeed, it may have
happened many times in the past; Mr. Detweiler is just very "loud"
about it.)  Is it likely that there are a lot of people on shaky
emotional footing who'll lose their grip when faced with the new
sociological paradigms of electronic communities?

And, most importantly, should I be chastised for using cypherpunks
bandwidth for my musings? :-)  If so, I'll here make a lame attempt to
redeem myself by giving a preliminary thumbs up to the "Applied
Cryptography" text by Bruce Schneier.  I picked up my copy over the
weekend, and it looks like a winner.

--
Mike McNally