Key Servers

Jim Miller jim at bilbo.suite.com
Sun Nov 14 19:45:27 PST 1993

L. Detweiler writes:

> I wonder if anyone would want to start a PGP key server
> dedicated only to *real* identities. Obviously, there
> is no such demand with the current ones.
>

> And please don't start with the `that would be
> impossible' arguments. A key server that had the
> official policy `if you register here, on your honor your
> legal name is what you give, under penalty of public
> exposure if you are caught' would be enough for me.

It's not PGP, but RSA, Inc. and others (Internet Policy Registration Authority)
are already setting up a system for registering pubilc-keys that are "proven"
to belong to actual humans.  You can read about it in RSA's newletter available
at their ftp site (rsa.com).  The newsletter is called "Ciphertext - The RSA
newsletter".

Of course, their system for "proving" the identity of a human is not perfect.
If you can obtain some fake IDs, you can defeat their public-key registration
system.  This is probably true for any non-biometric identification system.

Jim_Miller at suite.com