Bandwidth limitations

Matthew J Ghio mg5n+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Nov 12 13:53:44 PST 1993

VACCINIA at UNCVX1.OIT.UNC.EDU wrote:

> The human genome has approximately 3 x 10^9 base pairs. Each base is
> represented as the following binary code: G=1000, A=0100, T=0010, C=0001.
> Thus the human genome represents about 3 gigabytes of info (uncompressed),
> as Perry said easily transmitable by fiber optics.

Um, minor correction: There are four base pair combinations, and each
can be represented by two bits.

> When you all do finally get your genome sequenced, the last thing
> you should do is let anyone see it (perhaps only small segments of it).
> I can think of no better use for cryptography than to keep citizens
> genomes to themselves.  Would you give anybody a crystal ball
> which tells of your past, present and future?

Frankly, if I had the kind of technology to easily sequence my entire
geneome, I doubt I'd be content to just look at it.  I'd probably be
saying, "Hmm.. I don't like that gene, it might give me heart desease,
I'll just use a modified retrovirus to substitute a better one..." :)
Maybe one day genetic identification tests won't be so accurate as they
are today.