Should we oppose the Data Superhighway/NII?

Doug Merritt doug at netcom.com
Thu Nov 11 22:43:37 PST 1993

Mike Godwin <mnemonic at eff.org> said:
>Doug, I think you may be under the impression that we're talking about a
>single fiber-optic or coax cable. You can have a single (or double or
>triple) infrastructural network, but add bandwidth to each one. I think
>the notion of "scarcity" doesn't apply to cable any more than it applies
>to personal computers.

I understand. I think that we're looking at different sides of the same
coin. I'm taking the long view, where you're taking the short view. For
the next several years, I agree that bandwidth will continue to increase
even as cost-per-bit-per-second continues to fall.

My previous comments were directed at the long term view, which may
be inappropriate to discuss at the moment, since naturally the long term
has no immediate pragmatic import.

Just keep those comments in mind 5 or 10 years from now. ;-)
	Doug