MPJ2 Encryption Algorithm

Michael Johnson mpjohnso at nyx10.cs.du.edu
Wed Nov 10 15:59:00 PST 1993

For a sneak preview of the MPJ2 Encryption Algorithm article I just submitted
to the IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, anonymous ftp to csn.org and
look in the mpj directory or call my BBS at 303-938-9654.  I used the
same mechanism used by rsa.com to isolate the nonexportable stuff (source
code, programs) from the Constitutionally protected publication (article
describing the algorithm).  Seems strange to me, but if it works for the
Department of State and rsa.com thinks it won't get them in trouble, then
I guess I'm not sticking my neck out too far.

Any technical types among you want to take a look at the algorithm and
tell me what you think about its security?  I've been trying to break it for
several years, but I'm just an amateur who reads a lot.

Why MPJ2 and not just IDEA or 3DES?  Never put all your crypto eggs in
one basket.  Besides, MPJ2 is royalty-free.  Go build some useful code or
hardware.  (MPJ2 is faster and simpler in hardware, once the key is set up).

                                      Mike Johnson
                                      mpj at csn.org
                                      (aka mpjohnso at nyx.cs.du.edu)

Never thumb your nose at a giant, but don't let the giant intimidate the life
out of you. -- Jack's Goose.