Modem taps/Caller ID

mycal mike at NetAcsys.com
Wed Nov 10 12:33:21 PST 1993

On Mon, 8 Nov 1993 13:05:58 -1000 (HST), "Timothy Newsham" <newsham at wiliki.eng.hawaii.edu> wrote:
> The number is transmitted in ascii at 1200 bits per second.  The
> standard used to transmit the data is not the "normal" 1200 bps
> mode of your modem.  Normally 1200 bps is accomplished by sending
>
> I have no idea how you would get your modem to go into the right
> mode (and how it would react to data on the line before it goes
> off hook).

The 1200 bps it uses is called bell 202, kinda reminds me of the old days
with an apple, an apple cat modem, and first disfer then catsend and catfer...

Hmmm maybe I can dust off that apple cat modem and use it for caller ID :)

The apple cat modem is the only modem I know of that supported this
flavor of 1200bps, which was great for short bursts of data with little
syncronization neccary.

mycal