Clipper/ Dead?

Dark unicorn at access.digex.net
Tue Nov 9 20:58:48 PST 1993

From: nate at vis.colostate.edu (CVL staff member Nate Sammons)
->

This is welcome news, indeed.  I can see why AT&T would be pissed -- if
it gets out that the Clipper/SkipJack/Capstone combo is a major step
towards Big Brotherism, then their whole "You Will" commertial series
will not be accepted as well as I think it has so-far.

<-

Time to pat myself on the back.
:)

Way back just before Clipper was announced loudly, AT&T (who knew
very well at the time that they were going to actively back
Clipper) was running the individual plan ads.  You know the ones,
with Aretha Franklin chanting out "Freedom....Freedom...FREEDOM."

Individual plan?
Freedom?
You Will?

AT&T knew all along it might be a damage control project.
Same way Dow Chemical began running ads before their
new project on Binary weapons was outed.

What you have here is a company that is trying to portray itself
as a maverick in liberating technology that talks out of both
sides of its corporate mouth.

I mentioned it at the time too here.
(You heard it here first.)

:)