Usenet: 'Resistance Is Futile'

Philippe Nave pdn at dwroll.dw.att.com
Tue Nov 9 14:33:15 PST 1993

Regarding the recent question of whether the cypherpunks list is being
gatewayed to Usenet:

1) So what? I have always assumed that anything distributed to a group
   of _any_ kind may wind up scattered all over the globe and may turn
   up in unusual places. If the data is sensitive, encrypt it!

2) [Disclaimer: I know just enough Unix to get in trouble..] From what
   I understand so far, all it takes is one cypherpunk and some magic
   mail routing code to bounce cypherpunks list postings anywhere else
   on the planet. If this cypherpunk bounced the traffic off an anonymous
   remailer, you would never even be able to tell who was feeding the
   other system. Unless I'm missing something, there seems to be no
   defense possible against this activity.

3) I agree with the concern expressed by Tim May that we may be opened
   up to 'disruptive flaming and puerile argumentation.' The only way
   to avoid this problem [as far as I can tell] is to limit postings
   to members of the mailing list. That's a tough one. Let us hope that
   our coffee shop is not overrun by screaming children...

Philippe D. Nave, Jr.   | The person who does not use message encryption
pdn at dwroll.dw.att.com   | will soon be at the mercy of those who DO...
Denver, Colorado USA    | PGP public key: by arrangement.