Public and private.

Doug Merritt doug at netcom.com
Mon Nov 8 22:03:11 PST 1993

GRABOW_GEOFFREY at tandem.com said:
>As to the gov't tracking every penny that I earn, the only alternative to an
>income tax is an extremly high sales tax.  This is extremely unfair to those
>on the lower end of the wage scale.

This can be avoided simply by exempting subsistence items, just as
current food stamps pretend to do.

This is *almost* a digression from the topics of the list, but not quite.
The connection is that consequences like this and strategies to handle
them are very much an issue when we talk about deploying new technologies.
Crypto-technology will change the world, will he nil he; we can either
shrug off the consequences, or we can plan for them.
	Doug