Private and Public

Eric Hughes hughes at ah.com
Mon Nov 8 11:23:03 PST 1993

>international digital banking will make
>it very difficult for a national government to track monetary exchanges,
>and thereby tax them. Furthermore, I deduced from the gleam in his eye
>that Eric thought that this was a Good Thing

I think that increasing the ability of parties to transact in private,
such that neither the contents nor the existence of a transaction is
revealed, is a Very Good Thing.

I do not believe that it is prudent for governments to continue to
fund themselves on transaction taxes, such as income tax.  Government
exists primarily because of the facts of geography, properties of
territory and boundary.  The digital world is not a geographic one,
and the geographic model of government is not appropriate for it.

Please respond to my personal email address.

Eric