Remailer Abuse?

hh at cicada.berkeley.edu hh at cicada.berkeley.edu
Fri Nov 5 20:37:52 PST 1993

In message <9311051540.AA27805 at illuminati.IO.COM>, zeek writes:
>What constitutes remailer abuse is my question.  I'm aware of the obvious
>reasons, but unclear about the details.

Harassing other users is considered abuse, and sending chain letters is a
form of harassing other users.  However, it's not a very serious form of
abuse.  If I found conclusive evidence that someone were sending something
like childporn through my remailer, I would take some pretty drastic
actions.  Chainletters are just an annoyance.

>I suppose this question could be asked another way; what constitutes
>the *proper* use of a remailer?  Or; have clear guidelines been drawn for
>them?

Well, there aren't any guidelines for the proper use.  The only things which
are improper uses are uses designed to make the Net a less friendly place by
harassing other users, and uses which I find morally unbearable, like
childporn or something like that.

Note that the only way I found out that you had sent that through my
remailer was because the mail bounced.  The only way I am aware of stuff
going through my remailer is stuff that bounces or when recipients of mail
complain.  I don't read logs; I wouldn't have time to do that if I had 30
hour days, and besides, most of it is encrypted anyway.