Internet "mailing list"

Mike McNally m5 at vail.tivoli.com
Wed Nov 3 13:12:21 PST 1993

(Hoping I don't get yelled at (TYPED at?) for something not suitably
cypherpunkish...)

I wonder if the Internet mailing list people have "ringers" in the
list?  They could set up accounts on netcom and other services, I
suppose, and just keep a .forward file there.  Of course, if one stole
the list (or bought 1 use and decided to keep using it) but sent all
mail through an anonymous remailer, that wouldn't do them much good
(not that mailing through an anonymous remailer could do much good to
a business abusing the list in an attempt to make a profit.)

I wonder whether any well-used anonymous addresses are in it?  One
could, in principle, compile quite useful demographic information
about a nym.  And what if (gasp! shudder!  my fluids!) several names
in the list map to one real user?  Could the purchaser of the list
demand a partial refund?

--
Mike McNally