crypto product list

Eric Watt Forste arkuat at joes.garage.com
Fri May 28 21:36:55 PDT 1993

I'd like to put together a list of all commercially available encryption
products, both the good and the bad, both the standalone and the
built-in (to nonencryption products), with information about what
algorithms are used in encrypting. I'm particularly interested in
*commercially-available* (or free) products for telephonic security
(cellular, standard, and fax), device-driver-level computer security
products that use encryption, any mail software that uses builtin
encryption (calls to RIPEM, PGP, whatever), products that license and
incorporate RSA (nonproducts that will do this when they are products
include Apple's OCE... is the RSA-compliant version of Lotus Notes out
yet?), etc. etc.

If you can mail information about such products to
arkuat at joes.garage.com or to slippery at netcom.com, particularly the
addresses of marketing departments that I can write to to get more
information, I will compile a text file of this data and, with Eric
Hughes permission, put it up in the cypherpunks directory of
soda.berkeley.edu.

Please send information about products that are commercially available
or freely accessible right now. If you have information about products
that you are fairly certain will be on the market within the next six
months (before the end of 1993), please send the information but clearly
indicate that the product in question is not yet available and clearly
indicate a *conservative* estimate of the date the product will be
available. Let me emphasize that my use of the word "product" is fully
intended to include free software, not just monopolized intellectual
property.

If you know what encryption algorithm(s) is/are used by the product,
such as DES (ECB, CBC, CFB), IDEA, RSA, Vigenere, please indicate that.
If the manufacturers of the product have not disclosed the encryption
algorithm, then please say so.

What I myself know least about are the products for secure telephony, so
I'd appreciate information on these the most. But I'm sure I have lots
of gaps in my knowledge of hard-disk and e-mail security stuff also. I
hope to have a preliminary file ready for soda (if soda wants it) before
June 10th. If it's still short, I may post it here so y'all can more
easily fill in the gaps.

Eric Watt Forste                             arkuat at joes.garage.com
1800 Market St #243                          San Francisco CA 94102
      "Expectation foils perception."   -- Pamela C. Dean