privacy graphics archive

Eric Hughes hughes at soda.berkeley.edu
Mon May 24 12:06:14 PDT 1993

Re: graphic archive

A graphical archive for paper publication is a really wonderful idea.
I can keep or mirror the electronic archive on soda.

One of the projects that has been discussed is getting together a
presentation that we can hand out to people who will present it at
local meetings.  One necessary for any presentation is graphics.  Here
are some suggestions:

1. What the 'channel' model is.  Sender, Receiver, Eavesdropper.
2. How symmetric key crypto works over a channel.

[The New York Times had a good graphic of this.  My favorite part was
that the secret information decrypted to "... and get a quart of milk.
No, make that a half gallon."  An excellent subtlety to show that
privacy is for everybody.]

3. How public key crypto works over a channel.
4. How key escrow works.
5. How key escrow fails to work.

Not neglecting the obvious, I would suggest that any drawings such as
these, in whatever form they might have been created in, also be made
available in postscript.

Eric