cypto + compression

Eric Watt Forste arkuat at joes.garage.com
Sun May 23 22:58:48 PDT 1993

Ben Byer wrote:

   I don't know if there will be any new redundancies or not, but PGP
   compresses it's output so you would naturally get no further
   compression.

Dhoh! I should have specified that PGP's built-in compression be
turned off. Even without precompressing, encryption destroys almost
all the redundancy that compression can take advantage of.

Eric Watt Forste                             arkuat at joes.garage.com
1800 Market St #243                          San Francisco CA 94102
      "Expectation foils perception."   -- Pamela C. Dean