BBSs under fire! (or on fire, if BATF gets into the act!)

Arthur R. McGee amcgee at netcom.com
Wed May 19 09:03:42 PDT 1993

It's VERY simple Stanton. Look at the difference. BBSs are still
relatively small standalone "islands", even when they are hooked up to
Fido, RIME, etc. networks. They are a LOT easier to pick on.

The "net" however is essentially many seperate systems and one HUGE system
all at the same time. They realize that to tackle one particular site or
even many sites, really doesn't do anything. The net is like a funhouse
with too many "mirrors." The only way to have any effect would be to
change the rules of the net itself, saying that, for example,
"pornography" is not allowed. This, as we all know, along with all the
other rules they would likely impose, would kill the net DEAD("yeah", I
know, poor english, but you get my point). Also, the size of the net and
the somewhat seemless connection between the numerous networks, would STILL
allow people to pass the information around without law enforcement having
a clue.

In addition, the fact that so much of the net is in some way either owned by,
sanctioned by, or located on government or university property(as you
mentioned), pretty much precludes law enforcement from doing anything. They
can't cut off their own arm. It would be the gov't vs. the gov't. Like a
dog chasing it's own tail trying to bite it. Like Internal Affairs. Like
"Independant" Internal Investigation. Right! They don't mean a d**n thing.

Art