The Halting Problem

Brian Holt Hawthorne - SunSelect Engineering Brian.Hawthorne at East.Sun.COM
Wed May 12 13:48:44 PDT 1993

> The revelation here
> (for me, anyway) is that if arbitrary crypto were made illegal, the
> burden of proof would be on the prosecution which would have to crack
> the message (at least partially).

I believe the burden would actually be on them to crack the message
entirely. Otherwise, you are applying arbitrary algorithms to what may
be a random stream. If you get something comprehensible out, you have
either partially cracked the message, or run into the British Museum
problem (AKA 100 monkeys with typewriters).