[Torbjorn Granlund: GNU Multiple Precision Arithmetic Library]

Mark C. Henderson markh at wimsey.bc.ca
Tue May 11 17:42:23 PDT 1993

> It might be interesting to compare the speed of this library with the
> speed of the multiprecision code in RSAREF and in PGP.  May the fastest
> library win!
>
> 	John

Well, I've done some comparison between gmp 1.3 and RSAREF (as distributed
with RIPEM 1.07) on a RS6000/320

The key generation speeds turned out to be almost exactly the same using
the "aixgcc/xlc mixed" version of RSAREF/RIPEM and gmp compiled entirely
with IBM's xlc compiler.

(for those who haven't poked around in RIPEM, I'll say that this RS6000
version of RIPEM uses the "long long" data type to get 32 bit by 32 bit
multiplications with 64 bit results quickly).

So, it wouldn't surprise me if some clever person could optimize
gmp for the RS6000 and end up with something faster than what's
provided in RIPEM 1.07.

Mark

--
Mark Henderson
markh at wimsey.bc.ca
RIPEM key available by key server/finger/E-mail
  MD5OfPublicKey: F1F5F0C3984CBEAF3889ADAFA2437433