Correction!

Edgar W. Swank edgar at spectrx.Saigon.COM
Sat May 8 19:48:05 PDT 1993

In part of my long post dated May 3, Subject:

   PGP: Re: Tough Choices: PGP vs. RSA Data Security

I said:

    Jim Bidzos has told me that Phil Z. or anyone else can get a
    license from RSA for $20,000 plus minimum $10,000/yr.  royalties.
    If we say we don't want to spend more than 50% of our revenues on
    licensing, then if Phil can get $60,000 of firm orders for a
    -commercial- USA version of PGP, he's in (a very profitable)
    business.  $60,000 might be 600 copies at $100 or six site
    licenses at $10,000.

Upon reviewing my records, I find I didn't remember those figures
correctly.  The above -should- have read:

    Jim Bidzos has told me that Phil Z. or anyone else can get a
    license from RSA for $25,000 plus minimum $10,000/yr.  royalties.
                         ^^^^^^^
    If we say we don't want to spend more than 50% of our revenues on
    licensing, then if Phil can get $70,000 of firm orders for a
    -commercial- USA version of PGP, he's in (a very profitable)
    business.  $70,000 might be 700 copies at $100 or seven site
    licenses at $10,000.

My apologies to Jim Bidzos for misquoting him; however, the basic
point of the paragraph that a commercial license is not too far out of
reach remains valid.

--
edgar at spectrx.saigon.com (Edgar W. Swank)
SPECTROX SYSTEMS +1.408.252.1005  Silicon Valley, Ca