PATENT: A LEGAL way---maybe!

Eric Hughes hughes at soda.berkeley.edu
Sun May 2 22:42:37 PDT 1993

William Oldacre persists in believing that personal use of a patent is
permissible.  It's not legal, but if they don't know, they don't sue.
The differences between legality, the cost-effectiveness of a lawsuit,
and finding out in the first place are significant here.  We want the
protecting of legality, if we can get it.

>CypherPunks has something that Public Key Partners doesn't.  An
>organization of motivated people who can devote hundreds of person
>hours to putting the RSA patent under a microscope.

I'm really glad for this observation.  One, however, must derate our
person-hours some because we aren't lawyers.  The basic idea, though,
is entirely accurate.

>Allowing patents on ordinary mathematics was
>mistake that has to be rectified.

It has been rectified.  RSA is not a mathematical patent.  It is the
embodiment of some mathematical routines into a machine which is used
for a particular purpose and has certain security properties.

> (Diffie-Helman-Merkle?)

I got that one wrong.  It's the Hellman-Merkle patent.  I just posted
the actual numbers.

Eric