Encrypted voice protocol?

Bob Stratton strat at intercon.com
Fri Mar 5 00:53:21 PST 1993

> Date: Thu, 4 Mar 93 10:39:20 -0500
> From: Theodore Ts'o <tytso at athena.mit.edu>
> Subject: Encrypted voice protocol?
>

> So for roughly $200 US, and a little software, it should be possible to
> put together something that would do encrypted voice communications
> over the network.  Is there any interest in developing some sort of
> standard protocol and software to do encrypted, compressed voice
> communications over TCP/IP?

I don't know how many of you are at sites on the MBONE, or multicast
backbone. There are already a few pieces of code out there for
experimentation with transmission of audio and video information, in a
variety of forms/encoding, and probably the most widely used tool, "vat - the
Visual Audio Tool", already has provisions for carrying on encrypted audio
teleconferences via IP. In fact, it's as simple as typing a key into a field,
and the tool will DES en/decrypt the conference.

--Strat, budding multicast weenie