Wired tidbit about NSA

Timothy L. Nali tn0s+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 29 23:29:19 PDT 1993

Here's a little something about the NSA from the latest issue of Wired:

pg 25, in the middle type

Clipper Purposely Clipped?  Sources cloas to those in the know on
Captial Hill claim that NSA deliberately sabatoged the poorly considered
Clipper encryption chip (rolled out to the Net.public's dismay by the
White House early this spring).  The NSA, our sources say, would like
nothing more than to see the the Clipper chip fail, resulting in the
outlawing of encryption altogether ("Gee, we tried...").  The Electronic
Frontier Foundation's response to the Clipper plan, which has been in
the works for four years and was formulated by the NSA:  "We should not
rely on the government as the sole source for Clipper or any other chip.
 Rather, independent chip manufacturers should be able  to produce chip
sets based on open standards."

While I wouldn't take this as absolute truth yet, it is certainly food
for thought.

--Phelix

/----- P h e l i x ' s    P s y c h o t i c    P h i l o s o p h i e s -----\
                    Perfect Paranoia is Perfect Awareness

 Tim Nali            \  "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of
 tn0s at andrew.cmu.edu  \   the dreams" -Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory