Clipper vs. Russia

Marc Horowitz marc at GZA.COM
Tue Jun 29 13:02:38 PDT 1993

>> According to an AP wire story, Article 23 of the draft Russian
>> constitution says that ``Each person has the right to secret
>> correspondence, telephone conversations, mail, telegraph and other
>> communications.''

That's not really too meaningful.  Our Constitution provides for
protection against unlawful search and seizure (comments on the
reality of this to alt.flame, please :-).  Does the draft Russian
constitution forbid *all* tapping of mail, phones, etc?  I doubt it.
So that basically gives them the same protection we (nominally) have,
and our government seems quite happy with Key Escrow.

		Marc