No Subject

nobody at soda.berkeley.edu nobody at soda.berkeley.edu
Sat Jun 26 12:06:17 PDT 1993

 * Reply to msg originally in CYPHERPUNKS

 Uu> It is rarely to one's advantage to "assist the police."  In fact in
 Uu> British English the sentence "Fred C. Schwartz is assisting the police
 Uu> in their investigation" means that Fred C. Schwartz is the prime
 Uu> suspect.

Rather like "very tired" when used to describe the public appearance of
an MP as in, "...Sir Henry appeared very tired."  The term "very
tired" apparently is the pervasive newspaper euphemism for "very drunk."

 Uu> My wife (who in many ways was just the sort of female Kipling had in
 Uu> mind when he penned 'Deadlier Than the Male')...

Splendid finds, these, when one can keep them in alliance.  It's always
a joy to introduce them to firearms.

 Uu> In due course, a sewer inspector rang
 Uu> our  doorbell.  My wife demanded to see his warrant.  He was shocked
 Uu> and  mortified.

 Uu> Over the next few weeks, various bureaucrats called my wife and tried
 Uu> to  get her to change her mind.  They said, "You're not going to force
 Uu> us to  waste all that time and money and get a warrant, are you?"  She
 Uu> replied, "Consider it a valuable education on the 4th amendment."

I won't waste a great deal of time in idle & uninformed speculation, but
I seem to remember that certain "public safety" types do not need a
warrant to intrude.  As a matter of fact, I know of instances where cops
accompanied such functionaries on trumped-up "inspections" to avoid the
trouble of getting warrants.
.   I should be pleased to hear qualified legal opinion on this.

 Uu> Who is writing this in the terrorist capital of the US - Jersey City,
 Uu> NJ - but who has been denied a tactically necessary assault rifle by
 Uu> Governor Jim Florio.

Yes, but don't you feel _much safer_ disarmed?  No?  Well, be content
with a nice shotgun.

 Uu> When amonium nitrate and diesel fuel in a 16 to 1 ratio are outlawed
 Uu> only outlaws (and farmers) will have amonium nitrate and diesel fuel
 Uu> in  a 16 to 1 ratio.

This shall no doubt turn up in sigs before week's end.

* <m..stirner at f28.n125.z1.fidonet.org> - PGP Key D30909 via servers *
* > What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not  <*
* > warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit <*
* > of resistance?  Let them take arms!" - Thomas Jefferson, 1787  <*

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
--
M. Stirner - via RBBS-NET node 8:914/201
INTERNET: M..Stirner at f28.n125.z1.RBBS-NET.ORG