CERT: the letter from CERT to berkeley.edu admin

Ross E. Jones rjones at salsa.abq.bdm.com
Wed Jun 9 07:00:54 PDT 1993

In message Tue, 08 Jun 93 14:13:05 EDT, smb at research.att.com  writes:

>Based on what you sent out, I confess that I see nothing wrong with
>CERT's note.

I agree that the rights of people who develop copyrighted software must
be respected.  This is fundamental to working in software development.  My
problem with the letter is that CERT did not verify the accusation before it
was sent.  Friend-to-friend this could be considered a "heads-up", but from
a semi-official source such as CERT, this message takes on more of the
characteristics of not-so-subtile arm twisting.  It resulted in soda being
closed down for a while to the detriment of all the users.
Ross E Jones
BDM, Federal           rjones at abq.bdm.com
Phone: (505) 848-5733  Fax: (505) 848-4047