Encrypting Cypherpunks mailing list postings

John Draper crunch at netcom.com
Wed Jun 9 01:57:46 PDT 1993

Mikes response to the ideas of encrypting the Cypherpunks mailing list...

>We're not.  I was very tired and was using my other, much smaller, brain to
>think with. ;^)  I was (thinking?) of distributing a common secret key to
people
>who we know are not spooks, and who would be interested in the cypherpunk's
>cause.

I think it MAY be possible to write a perl program that would take the
incoming mail encrypted with a single common public key for Cypherpunk
mailing list mail,   than would decrypt it internally,  then for each
person in the mailing list,  using their public keys,   encrypt each
message for the individual recipients,  and mail them out.

Naturally this would be SLOWER THAN MOLASSIS!!   But it would be worth
a try to see how it works.     Lets talk about it at the upcoming
Cypherpunks meeting.

The ravers can really use something like this to keep the Full Moon Raves
location a secret and known ONLY to those dedicated ravers that want to
attend.

As far as the Cypherpunks mailing list goes,  it may not be appropriate
to encrypt to the group ALL the time,   but SOME messages might be
worthy of encryption.