CERT: the letter from CERT to berkeley.edu admin

Stig stig at netcom.com
Wed Jun 9 01:43:09 PDT 1993

To quote: Marc Horowitz <marc at GZA.COM>
> "Do not attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
> stupidity."  Without support, I think CERT is merely being stupid.
> Someone else (maybe even a government employee) is being malicious.  I
> do think cert is harming their effectiveness by doing this.  My guess
> is that they never stopped to think that someone might use them in
> this way to shut down an "unpopular" ftp site.

Sounds like this thread is getting too soft on CERT:

For soda, the mail went to someone at soda....

For Julf's machine, it went to his NETWORK PROVIDER.  (This is not a
courteous move, nor was it intended to be.)

	Stig

/* Jonathan Stigelman, Stig at netcom.com, PGP public key by finger  */
/* fingerprint = 32 DF B9 19 AE 28 D1 7A  A3 9D 0B 1A 33 13 4D 7F */