CERT

Johan Helsingius julf at penet.FI
Tue Jun 8 08:38:39 PDT 1993

> i am disappointed to hear these stories about cert, but encourage others
> with tales to tell to step forward.  this is a real eye-opener.

I just had to deal with a minor crisis caused by CERT. They contacted the
domain-admin for the *.fi domain, saying they had been informed that the
anonymous ftp archive at anon.penet.fi was being used to distribute
illegal copies of software. They did *not* contact me directly, nor my
service provider.

The last time anon.penet.fi was shut down was exactly because of
somebody contacting the domain-admin, who happens to be a person working
for a competitor to my service provider.

Fortunately I could tell them that anon.penet.fi didn't even run ftp at
all, easily verifiable by trying to ftp from anon.penet.fi. They did
apologize profusely, but somehow that doesn't quite...

	julf