Dig. Cash Question.

J. Michael Diehl mdiehl at triton.unm.edu
Sat Jun 5 23:30:08 PDT 1993

According to smb at research.att.com:

> 	 If I understand this correctly, if p is not a prime, then n may not be
> 	 unique.
>
> Well, n isn't unique even if p is prime.  Consider a=10,p=11.
> 10^2=10^4=10^6=10^8=10^10=1 mod 11.  You only get a maximum-length
> cycle if ``a'' is a primitive root, hence the restriction I stated
> in the part I deleted...

That is, if a is a generator of G, or as close to one as possible.

My thinking was obviously clowded...  Not that I have a beer in me, I remember
that for any element, a of group G, a will have order n, such that n|ord(G).
This implies that there are n different (positive) powers of a which yield a
particular number, b in our case.  Each of which would qualify as a log.  I
think I understand.

> It doesn't matter that n isn't unique, though you do want a good
> distribution.  Primitive roots have a maximal distribution, which is

Then which root are we to use in discussion?

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl at triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl at fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+