Software infrastructure

J. Michael Diehl mdiehl at triton.unm.edu
Sat Jun 5 00:37:36 PDT 1993

According to Pat Farrell:

>>Maybe I have a slow version, but I have NEVER gotten comparable results 'tween
>>kermit and zmodem, or even ymodem.  Usually it's a 2:1 difference.
>
> It is important to have recent version on both the PC and host side.
> The versions that I run on my PC is 3.12. The Unix host version is
> close to 5A... I had to slurp the latest Sun version from Columbia
> to get decent performance. The version supported by my Sysadmin was
> obsolete. I haven't claimed that Kermit is faster, but with sliding windows,
> large buffers, and other tricks, the night and day difference goes away.

I'll take your word for it. ;^)  I can only speak from experience.

> >What do you mean by "commandline script?"
>
> I mean that a script that works  like unix or DOS command line programs
> should (speculation alert!) be possible. We can handle obscure options,
> switches, etc. My target audience can't. Kermit has automatic scripts
> and macros that should be able to handle what we need. Heaven help us
> when there are errors tho....

We simply make a batch file which starts our comm program with all the right
settings?  Simple.  If there are errors, we program around them just like we
do in the real world (tm)  If we don't we hear about it from our users! ;^)
I still have a few possible errors which I haven't programed around on my
scrYpt, but they are so rare.... ya, I know.  I'll fix em before I release.

| J. Michael Diehl ;-)  | I thought I was wrong once. | PGP KEY |
| mdiehl at triton.unm.edu |   But, I was mistaken.      |available|
| mike.diehl at fido.org   |                             | Ask Me! |
+------"I'm just looking for the opportunity to be -------------+
|            Politically Incorrect!"   <Me>                     |
+-----If codes are outlawed, only criminals wil have codes.-----+
+----Is Big Brother in your phone?  If you don't know, ask me---+