Software infrastructure

Pat Farrell pfarrell at cs.gmu.edu
Sat Jun 5 00:27:08 PDT 1993

>Maybe I have a slow version, but I have NEVER gotten comparable results 'tween
>kermit and zmodem, or even ymodem.  Usually it's a 2:1 difference.

It is important to have recent version on both the PC and host side.
The versions that I run on my PC is 3.12. The Unix host version is
close to 5A... I had to slurp the latest Sun version from Columbia
to get decent performance. The version supported by my Sysadmin was
obsolete. I haven't claimed that Kermit is faster, but with sliding windows,
large buffers, and other tricks, the night and day difference goes away.

>>glowing BS about TCP/IP, NASI, etc. elided...
>This is worth considering...

I agree. That is why I posted. Perhaps a Kermit guru lives within
the list.

>> I expect that Kermit is good enuff if you are interested in commandline
>> scripts for plain old DOS. And the scripting language is also
>> supported by the C version that run on nearly all Unixs and most other
>> boxes. This would allow a single script to support a lot of users.
>What do you mean by "commandline script?"

I mean that a script that works  like unix or DOS command line programs
should (speculation alert!) be possible. We can handle obscure options,
switches, etc. My target audience can't. Kermit has automatic scripts
and macros that should be able to handle what we need. Heaven help us
when there are errors tho....

Pat

Pat Farrell      Grad Student                 pfarrell at cs.gmu.edu
Department of Computer Science    George Mason University, Fairfax, VA
Public key availble via finger          #include <standard.disclaimer>