Software infrastructure

Stig stig at netcom.com
Tue Jun 1 13:52:09 PDT 1993

To quote: Eric Hughes <hughes at soda.berkeley.edu>

> Let's go back to the DOS-as-terminal issue.  The politics and
> economics of DOS shareware is such that source code is almost never
> made available.  Gnu public license software is rare in the DOS world.
>
> I propose that interested cypherpunks write a DOS terminal program
> which _is_ free software.  In order to overcome the inertia which Hal

Let's generalize a bit:  Since PC based unix is more available, this
package should run on either PC or UNIX platforms.  Tip doesn't cut it
as a terminal program for UNIX and I don't know of another...  SLIP
has it's disadvantages.

So, what I'm proposing is that the OS interface stuff be crammed into
an interface layer.

One intriguing application:  Write an interface layer that uses
SOCKETS for connectivity.

We want to avoid the kitchen sink mentality, BUT if we're going to
spend lots of time on this package, then why have it all go to waste
when time comes to port the sucker?

	Stig

/* Jonathan Stigelman, Stig at netcom.com, PGP public key by finger  */
/* fingerprint = 32 DF B9 19 AE 28 D1 7A  A3 9D 0B 1A 33 13 4D 7F */