Clipper is now Skipjack

L. Detweiler ld231782 at longs.lance.colostate.edu
Sat Jul 31 20:00:20 PDT 1993

I don't recall seeing articles saying that the government officially
decided to stop calling Clipper Clipper, and start calling it Skipjack,
because of the trademark infringement. I wonder when this actually
happened. Just another little humiliation...

>To avoid a trademark conflict, the government is renaming Clipper to Skipjack.

p.s. Of course we should keep calling it Clipper out of perverse glee
(did anyone see the recent Simpsons where the infant Bart kept calling
his dad Homer? hee, hee).

===cut=here===

CRA ELECTRONIC BULLETIN--JULY 30, 1993

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        Distributed By

        Juan Antonio Osuna
        Computing Research Association
        1875 Connecticut Ave., NW, Suite 718
        Washington, DC 20009

        phone: (202) 234-2111
        E-mail: josuna at cs.umd.edu

        =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

[...]

PANEL TO REVIEW SKIPJACK (AKA CLIPPER)

The National Institute of Standards and Technology has selected five people to
review the classified encryption algorithm Skipjack, also popularly known as
Clipper. The government proposes Skipjack as a new standard for encrypting
voice communications.

To avoid a trademark conflict, the government is renaming Clipper to Skipjack.
The five reviewers will be Ernest Brickell of Sandia National Laboratories,
Dorothy Denning of Georgetown University (also on the CRA board), Stephen Kent
of BBN Communications, David Maher of AT&T, and Walter Tuchman of Amperif Corp.