FAQ corrections

Matt Schroth Charles.M.Schroth at williams.edu
Sat Jul 24 10:08:46 PDT 1993

[I tried mailing this directly to Eric Raymond, but I got
a bounce message a day later.]

Eric,

I have read some things I think are incorrect in the FAQ you're
working on.  I could be wrong, of course, but I wanted to point them
out to you anyway:

     In the introduction to PKC, you say that "the Federal
Government's DES standard" is a PKC.  Is there some way to
view DES as a public key system that I'm not aware of?  I
have only seen it used as a symmetric key system.

     In 3a, you state that "If you encode with *your* public key...".
I think you meant "with your private key...", as anyone can encode
something with a public key.

     In 4a, "RSA stands for 'Rivest-Shamir-Adelson'"...his name
is Adleman.

     I saw a few "more needed here's".  Are you soliciting help for these,
or are you just not finished with those sections yourself?

Good luck,

Matt